David's Recipe for Almond Milk Royales
Saulnier lists almond-milk royales as a garnish for several different consommés, but I couldn't find a recipe for them.
Soup Garnish, French-American
- 2 eggs beaten with 4 yolks
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk. (You can make almond milk using my recipe for Vegetarian Coffee Whitener, omitting the vanilla and sugar.)
- 1/2 coffee spoon salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- Oil for oiling the pan
- Boiling water for bain-marie
- Preheat oven to medium.
- Mix together well all of the ingredients except the oil.
- Pour into a well oiled pan, place the pan in the bain-marie, and place the whole setup in the oven. The bain-marie should stay at a very slight rippling simmer.
- The custard will be done in 20 minutes, or a little longer, when the edges are barely starting to separate from the pan and a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Refrigerate until cold, at least an hour.
- Cut into lozenges, and warm in the consommé a minute or two before serving, if necessary.