David's Recipe for Baked Beans
The taste of traditional baked beans, but pre-simmering and using a single pot make this recipe much faster and easier.
Main Course or Side Dish, American
- 1 kg small white dried beans
- 2-1/2 liters water for soaking
- About 2 liters boiling water (See below.)
- 2 onions, diced
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup commercial chili sauce or hot ketchup
- 9 soup spoons powdered dry mustard
- 1 scant coffee spoon salt
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Place the beans and the remaining liquid in some kind of stove-to-oven pot and add boiling water to about 2 inches above the beans. Simmer for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to slow-moderate.
- Mix in the onions, molasses, chili sauce, mustard and salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Even better reheated.