David's Recipe for Baked Ziti
One Course Meal, Italian-American
- 500 grams ziti, penne, or similar pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions
- 2 kg chopped meat
- 3 onions, sliced into Cs
- 2 sweet green peppers, diced
- 1 580 gram can 28Bx tomato paste
- 1 liter boiling water
- 1/2 coffee spoon oregano
- Chili peppers to taste, diced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- A few spoons of olive oil for oiling the pans
- Brown the meat over a high flame. Set aside.
- Saute the onions over medium heat until golden.
- Add both kinds of peppers and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and saute for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the meat back into the sauce mixture.
- Preheat the top grill of your oven.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients, except for the pasta. Lower the flame and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the cooked and drained pasta into the sauce.
- Oil two 12" x 9" baking pans, spread the pasta mixture in them, and grill for about 10 minutes, until the baked ziti just starts to brown.