David's Recipe for Beef Stew in Pomegranate Sauce
Main Course, Vaguely Western Asian, maybe
- 5 pounds chuck or other stewing beef, cubed to 2"x2"x2"
- 1/2 cup olive oil for sauteing, divided
- 2 onions or 2 large leeks, sliced into Cs
- A handful of flour
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1-1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- Diced chili pepper to taste
- About 1 pint boiling water (see below)
- 3 large plums, not peeled but sliced into segments 1/4 inch thick
- Brown the meat in some of the oil.
- Simmer the meat with the wine, pomegranate juice, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, and chilis. Add boiling water as needed so that the meat always remains covered.
- Lightly brown the onions. When they are almost finished browning, mix the flour thoroughly into them.
- Add the onions to the meat and sauce mixture.
- One hour before the meat is finished (a total of 3 or more hours, depending on the meat), mix in the plums. Simmer for another hour.
- Serve with rice.