David's Recipe for Braised Chicken Gizzards
It sounds quaint, at best, but many people like it a lot.
Main Course, Jewish
- 2 onions
- 3 lb chicken gizzards, cleaned
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 qt boiling water
- Halve and slice the onions, and brown lightly in the oil.
- Cut each gizzard into a few pieces, if they're not cut that way already.
- Add the gizzards to the onions, and continue to brown lightly. If the gizzards have water added to increase their weight, as much meat does these days, this will take a while.
- Add the boiling water and the pepper.
- Break the bay leaf in half and throw it into the pot.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for two hours, or until the gizzards are tender. While the gizzards are simmering, check them every once in a while to make sure that they don't need additional water.
- Serve with rice or kasha.