David's Recipe for Braised Spleen
Our butcher is no longer willing to sell us spleens because he's no longer willing to clean them. The taste is between ordinary muscle meat and liver.
Main Course, Jewish
- 1 cattle spleen
- A few large onions, sliced
- A few whole peppercorns
- A pinch of salt
- Water for braising
- Have the butcher clean the spleen for you.
- Lightly brown the onions.
- Brown the spleen on all sides. Since it will probably be too big for any pot or pan you have at home, you will have to shift it around it the pot and brown one section at a time, sometimes letting it fold over gently on itself.
- Let the spleen fold over to fit the pot. Add water to cover and to reach a few inches above it.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the onions, the salt and the pepper.
- Simmer for an hour or so.
- Remove the spleen and let it cool for 15 minutes or so so that it will slice neatly.
- Put it on a large platter and slice it at the table. Serve it with the gravy in which it was braised.