David's Recipe for Cheese-Stuffed Mushrooms
Like many good recipes, this one was born of a misunderstanding.
Appetizer or Main Course, American
- 32 Portobello mushrooms
- 2 soup spoons olive oil for sauteing
- 2-1/2 cups fine bread crumbs or matzoh meal
- 1/2 coffee spoon dried thyme
- 1/2 coffee spoon hot paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 1-1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2-1/2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
- 2 soup spoons olive oil for oiling the pans
- Preheat the oven to high heat, but not to 'Grill'.
- Gently wash the mushrooms, if necessary, and separate the stems from the caps.
- Chop the stems and saute them for 1 or 2 minutes, until they lose their raw look and develop a mushroomy aroma.
- Mix in the bread crumbs. Allow to cool.
- Mash the thyme between your fingers, and drop it into the mushroom mixture.
- Mix in the paprika, salt and whipping cream.
- Mix in the cheese.
- Oil 2 cookie sheets.
- Hold a mushroom cap in your left hand, gill side up, and mold a mound of filling about 1/2" high in the middle onto the gill side of the cap. Lay the mushroom on one of the baking sheets. Do this for all of the mushrooms.
- Place the baking sheet in the middle of the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese bits melt and the filling just starts to brown.
- If you are serving these as an appetizer, you might want to park slices of toast under them. As a main dish, serve about 4 mushrooms per serving.