David's Recipe for Chili Con Carne
A one dish meal served in a bowl, like soup, although I have heard of heretics who dish it over rice.
Main Course, Tex-Mex
- 3 pounds dried beans
- About 3 quarts water for soaking the beans
- About 2-1/2 quarts water for cooking the chili
- 3 pounds ground meat
- 2 onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- At least 2 chilis
- At least 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 large can tomato paste
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Add enough water to the beans to cover them to a depth of a few inches above the beans themselves.
- Bring the beans to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Slice the onions and brown lightly in half of the oil. Add to the beans.
- Brown the meat lightly in the remaining oil and add to the beans.
- Chop fine the garlic and add to the beans.
- Saute the tomato paste lightly in the little oil remaining in the pan and mix into the beans.
- Holding them with a gloved hand, seed and chop the chilis. Mix into to the beans.
- Add the chili powder.
- Simmer about 2 more hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.