David's Recipe for Curried Chicken
The People Who Know say that curry comes from India, but there are also versions from Indonesia, England, and Holland, and I've seen curry in Chinese cookbooks and Brooklyn kitchens.
Main Dish, Indian
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 pounds chicken breasts, halved
- At least 2 chili peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1" by 2" piece of ginger, minced fine
- 1 large clove garlic
- Contents of 1 pod cardamom, freshly ground
- 1 tsp freshly ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1-1/2 qts boiling water
- 1/4 cup cold water for thickener
- 1 tbsp cornstarch for thickener
- Brown the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Add the boiling water.
- Wearing gloves, seed and chop the peppers. Add to the curry.
- Break the bay leaf into halves and add.
- Mince fine the garlic and add.
- Add the cinnamon, cardamom, and turmeric.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Make a paste of the cornstarch and cold water. Mix it into the curry.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice, beer, and several different chutneys.