David's Recipe for Garlic Bread
Very easy. To ensure domestic tranquillity, you should never eat garlic unless your spouse eats it at the same time.
Snack or Bread, Italian
- 2 long loaves of French or Italian bread
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Preheat broiler. To follow the instructions here, you will need a broiler which supplies heat from above, but most of them do.
- Chop the garlic very fine and mix with the olive oil. Let the garlic oil rest about 1/2 hour, if you have the time. If not, you can use it right away.
- Cut the bread into slices about 1-1/2" thick.
- Place the bread in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and brown one side lightly close to the heat. This will take less than a minute.
- Turn the bread over, and using a soup spoon, place about a teaspoonful of the garlic-oil mixture on the un-browned side of each slice of bread.
- Place the bread in the broiler again, this time about 6" from the source of heat.
- Broil until the bread just begins to color around the edges, again less than one minute.
- Best served hot.