David's Recipe for Hamburgers
If you think that nobody needs a recipe for hamburgers, compare these with the things they slap out at you at the local fast food joint.
Main Course, American
- 3 lbs ground meat
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the onions and lightly brown them in the oil.
- Mix the meat, the onions, and the pepper.
- Make into patties about 3" in diameter and 3/4" in thickness and broil about 6" from the heat. Place on a wire grid; don't broil them sitting in their own fat, and without contact with the surrounding air. Broil on one side until browned, about 12 minutes, and then turn and broil on the other side until browned.
- You can serve them on buns with ketchup, if you really want to, but you can also serve them with ketchup between slices of rye bread, or on a plate with no other condiments and with mashed potatoes as a side dish.