David's Recipe for Home-Fried Potatoes
Why star anise in home-fried potatoes? Well, it started with this Indian recipe which called for fennel seeds. But I didn't have any fennel seeds, so.... In other words, you should never have asked.
Side Dish, American
- 12 baseball-sized new potatoes
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 quart cool water and 2 teaspoons lemon juice for holding the potatoes
- Up to 2 large pinches of salt, divided
- 4 large onions sliced into C-shapes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- A few ground chili peppers
- 1-2 soup spoons chili powder
- 1/2 soup spoon ground coriander
- 1 corner of a star anise, ground
- Peel the potatoes and slice them crosswise into 1/3-inch slices. Hold them in cool water spiked with lemon juice to keep them from discoloring.
- Put the potato slices into a microwavable vessel with a pinch of salt and 2 quarts boiling water. Microwave them on high until they are neither cooked enough to eat nor completely opaque. This takes 11 minutes on my 1200 watt machine.
- Lightly brown the onions over a medium flame. Reserve.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly in a strainer.
- Saute the potatoes over medium heat with the peppers, chili powder, and coriander, turning occasionally, and covering when not turning. Test with a fork for near-doneness every once in a while.
- When almost done, about 25 minutes, add back the onions and continue turning and covering as before for another minutes.