David's Recipe for Khmer Fish Soup
My version really doesn't have much to do with Khmer, but then theirs doesn't really have much to do with ratatouille.
Soup or One Dish Meal, Brooklynite
- 2 sea bass or other large single-serving fish, sliced int 1-1/2 in. slices
- 4 soup spoons olive oil
- 1 qt water
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 handful string beans
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium kohlrabi, diced into 1/2 in. cubes (other vegetables can be substituted for these last three)
- 2 soup spoons demarara sugar
- 2 soup spoons soy sauce
- pinch of salt
- chili to taste
- Heat the oil and sprinkle the sugar over it.
- Saute the fish slices in the sugared oil until they barely start to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute the kohlrabi a few minutes to soften it.
- Add the tomatoes and saute a few minutes.
- Add the water, lemon, and zest and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish, chili, soy sauce and salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve alone as a soup, or with rice as a one-dish meal.