David's Recipe for Kneidlach
These dumplings are always served in chicken soup. They are eaten on Passover and the rest of the year as well.
Soup Ingredient, Jewish
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon chicken soup
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 quarts boiling water
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat the yolks.
- Mix the yolks, the matzo meal, the chicken soup, and the pepper lightly into the whites.
- Keeping your hands wet with cold water, shape into balls about 2 or 3 inches in diameter and cook in the boiling water in batches, 8 minutes each batch. Don't crowd the kneidlach: they will expand during cooking, and also need room to turn themselves over in the water to cook evenly.
- Remove from the water to hold, and reheat for a few minutes in the same chicken soup in which they will be served.