David's Recipe for Lavender Chicken
I was looking for a recipe with whole chickens or pieces, not breasts, and dried lavender. I found a few oddities with vermouth, etc., but ended up with 'if you want it done right, do it yourself'. As someone said on a message board, cooked lavender tastes exactly like raw lavender smells.
Main Course, American
- 2 whole roasting chickens, cut up into 11 pieces each
- 3 soup spoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small handful flour
- 3/4 qt boiling chicken stock
- 2 soup spoons dried lavender
- 1/2 coffee spoon dried thyme
- 4 soup spoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 coffee spoon freshly ground white pepper
- Lightly brown the chicken in the oil. Reserve.
- In the remaining fat, lightly brown the onions.
- Mix in the flour until no raw flour is visible.
- Very gradually mix in the stock. In between additions of stock, add the lavender, thyme, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the chicken. Simmer for an additional 25 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Serve with rice.