- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 qts sliced fresh mushrooms (3 baskets mushrooms, where I live)
- 1 qt chicken stock (If you intend to serve with fish, substitute fish stock.
- A little fresh chili pepper, finely chopped, to taste
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, tied into a bouquet
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 heaping soup spoons cornstarch
- 6 soup spoons warm water.
- Saute the mushrooms over a high heat until grayish-brown, about 7 minutes.
- They will be sitting in a lot of liquid.
- Add the chicken stock, pepper, thyme, wine, and lemon juice. Simmer for 15
- Make a slurry of the cornstarch and the water. Mix it into the sauce.
- Bring to a boil, immediately lower to a simmer, amd simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over meat, pasta, or anything else except ice cream. (If you and your guests are all pregnant, you may be able to get away with serving it over ice cream.)