David's Recipe for Microwave Vanilla Rice
Very much a party dish, as you'll discover if you check the price of good vanilla and saffron. In any case, you'd know that it's a party dish from the aroma.
Side Dish, American
- 1/2 kg rice
- 1 soup spoon olive oil
- The seeds from 6 pods of cardamom
- 1 black peppercorn
- Pinch of coarse ("kosher") salt
- 1 pre-minced vanilla bean. It's better to use a dry one, if you have one.
- 1 gram saffron threads
- 75 ml hot water for soaking the saffron
- 1 liter boiling water
- Soak the saffron in the hot water for 10 minutes.
- Grind together the cardamom, pepper, salt, and vanilla pieces.
- Mix the ground spices and oil thoroughly into the rice. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Mix the saffron and its water very thoroughly into the rice.
- Mix the boiling water into the rice.
- Microwave on medium or high (depending on the power output of your microwave gadget) for 20 minutes.
- Allow to stand for five minutes to continue cooking in its own heat, then serve as a side dish.