David's Recipe for Omelette à la Mode
Based on a recipe by La Varenne which called for currants, not chopped orange. But I didn't have any currants.
Breakfast, Dessert, Snack, French-Brooklynese
- 12 beaten eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 soup spoons sugar for the sirup
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- Flesh of 1 medium orange, chopped
- 1/3 cup bland oil
- 3 soup spoons rosewater
- 3 additional soup spoons sugar
- Put the water, 2 soup spoons water, and the zest in a small pan. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 3 minutes. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Saute the chopped orange flesh for 5 minutes. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Beat the sirup with its zest and the chopped orange into the eggs.
- Saute the eggs as you would do for any sauteed omelette not based on beaten whites, i.e., for any "French" omelette. Turn off the heat.
- Scatter the rosewater and the additional sugar over the omelette, cut into individual servings, and serve.