David's Recipe for Parsnip and Pear Soup
Very easy and very quick. All of the recipes I could find on the 'Net for parsnip and pear soup included milk. So I cooked up this one, which doesn't.
- 8 large parsnips, peeled and diced fine
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 quarts lightly salted simmering water, or light stock
- 1/4 to 1 chili pepper, minced very fine
- 3 heaping soup spoons cornstarch
- 5 soup spoons water for making the cornstarch paste
- Place the pepper in the water.
- Add the parsnips to the water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pears. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Thoroughly mix the cornstarch and water to make a paste.
- Raise the heat to a boil and add the cornstarch paste while stirring quickly.
- Lower the flame and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.