- 4 medium onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil for sauteing
- 1 heaping soup spoon 28Bx tomato paste
- 5 lbs. beef brisket
- 2 quarts boiling water (Very approximate; see below.)
- 1 or more diced chili peppers
- Pinch of salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut the onions in half with a crosswise cut, then slice to produce semicircles.
- Brown the onions over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the tomato paste and continue sauteing for another 2 minutes. Reserve.
- If the pieces of beef are very wide, cut them in half so that they will be easier to slice and serve later.
- Turn up the heat to maximum, and then brown the beef at least on the two wide sides.
- Add the onion mixture and the chilis.
- Add water almost to cover.
- Add the salt and the bay leaf.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, depending on the beef.
- Before slicing, allow the beef to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes.