David's Recipe for Potage Bonne Femme
Very easy and very traditional, though I don't think that it's anything special.
- 10 cups boiling water or chicken stock
- 5 cups sliced leeks. Despite what it says in most of the cookbooks, you can use the silvery green part; just don't use the part which is green like the weeds of the field.
- 2 small celery stalks, diced fine or sliced thin on a diagonal
- 9 soup spoons olive oil for sauteing
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1 coffee spoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 coffee spoon salt, if you're using water. Less if you're using chicken stock
- Pinch of thyme
- Saute the leeks until they start to turn golden.
- Add the celery and saute another minute.
- Add the water, potatoes, pepper, salt, and thyme.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.