David's Recipe for Prune Sauce for Fish
A few weeks ago, I was reading a spy story in which two 1920s Hungarians are mentioned as eating "fish with prune sauce". That's how these things happen. Have you ever seen a recipe so easy it has only two lines?
- 1-1/2 lbs dried pitted prunes, coarsely diced
- 1 qt fish stock
- 1 coffee spoon fresh orange zest
- 1 stick cinnamon, freshly ground
- 1 soup spoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Mix together all of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with some simple sauceless fish, baked, steamed, grilled or whatever, as well as with the starchy accompaniment to the fish.