David's Recipe for Pumpkin Soup
This soup can be made with other winter squashes as well. I have seen pumpkin soup served in half of a hollowed out squash, apparently baked, but I've never tried it.
- 3 pounds pumpkin flesh
- 3 medium onions
- 9 cups boiling water
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 or more chili peppers, to taste
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Dice the flesh of the pumpkin.
- Simmer the pumpkin in the water with the bay leaf about 1/2 hour, until tender.
- Dice the onion and saute in the oil until transparent. Add to the soup.
- Chop the chili and add to the soup.
- Add the tomato paste.
- When the pumpkin and the other ingredients are tender, remove the bay leaf and blend in a blender to make a smooth, thick soup. You will have to do this in several batches with a household blender.
- Reheat while stirring occasionally about 10 minutes.