David's Recipe for Smoked Salmon Sauce
Quick and easy. You can also substitute chicken stock for the fish stock, omit the smoked salmon, and use as a sauce for a pot au feu or poule au pot.
- 8 soup spoons olive oil
- 4 soup spoons flour
- 4 cups fish stock
- 2 soup spoons prepared mustard
- 4 heaping soup spoons capers, drained and chopped
- 200 grams smoked salmon if you'll be using the sauce on fish, or 400 if you'll be using it on pasta
- In a frying pan, make a white roux by thoroughly mixing the flour into the oil over a moderate flame. Continue mixing for about a minute after all of the lumps have disappeared.
- Thoroughly mix in the mustard.
- Starting very gradually, slowly mix the fish stock into the roux. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Mix the capers into the sauce.
- Cut the smoked salmon crosswise into thin strips and mix into the sauce. Simmer for another minute.