David's Recipe for Spaghetti with Salmon
My version of a side dish which I was served at an odd little eating place in the Marais.
Side Dish or One Course Meal, French
- 1 kg spaghetti, with boiling water and salt to cook it according to the package directions
- 2 large slices salmon
- 4 large cap mushrooms
- 1/2 large onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup oil for sauteing
- 2 cups boiling water
- 200 gr tomato paste
- Cook the spaghetti while preparing the rest of the ingredients, so that it will still be hot when they are ready.
- Separate the mushroom caps and stems and slice them very thin.
- Slice the onion into very thin slices.
- Saute the onions. When they just start to turn golden, add the mushrooms. Saute for another minute or two, until the mushrooms also start to change color.
- Add the remaining boiling water, the thyme and the salt.
- Lay the salmon slices in the 'soup' and poach for 3 minutes. Turn and poach for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the salmon slices and turn off the flame.
- Remove the salmon meat from the skin, bones, and visible fat. Break it into small pieces. It will not yet be fully cooked.
- Relight the flame and put the salmon into the 'soup'.
- Mix in the tomato paste.
- Mix the sauce gently but thoroughly into the drained spaghetti.
- Serve hot right away, either as a one dish meal or as a side dish to another fish.