David's Recipe for Spiced Beets
This was a big hit on Rosh HaShanah, 5764.
Side Dish, American
- 5 medium beets
- 2" fresh ginger, diced fine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large oranges
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2" cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 coffee spoon ground nutmeg
- A few cups of boiling water
- Peel the beets, place them in the boiling water, lower the heat, and simmer them for 1/2 hour, or until a fork penetrates easily.
- Zest and then squeeze the oranges.
- Mix the ginger, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring the resulting marinade to a boil, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the water, cool them, and slice them across the grain, so that the pretty ring structure will be visible.
- Add the beet slices to the marinade and simmer for another 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Can be served hot, but much better allowed to sit refrigerated in the marinade and served the next day. May be frozen.