David's Recipe for Stir Fried Chicken with Cashews
Even my wife and eldest daughter liked this one, and they normally don't like meat with fruit or nuts.
Main Course, Chinese
- 3 pounds chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, with cartilage removed. Chill the chicken breasts well before starting to work.
- 13 medium white cap mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup olive or other oil
- 3 soup spoons hoisin sauce
- 1 200-gram package cashew nuts
- 2 soup spoons soy sauce
- 3 soup spoons dry white wine
- 4 soup spoons corn starch for the marinade
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 soup spoon corn starch for thickening
- 3 soup spoons water for thickening.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half along their length, then in half lengthwise again, so that you have four strips. Then slice them across the grain into slices about 1/2" wide.
- Mix the corn starch, soy sauce, and wine into the chicken pieces, and allow them to marinate while you prepare the onions and the mushrooms. Mix the chicken in the marinade occasionally.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise. Then cut each half in thirds lengthwise, and then in half crosswise, so that you have roughly square pieces of onion.
- Saute the mushrooms until they just start to change color. Add the onion pieces and saute until they become transparent.
- Reserve the sauteed mushrooms and onions.
- Saute the chicken pieces until they are white and opaque. Add the mushrooms and onions.
- Stir in the hoisin sauce.
- Add the boiling water.
- Make a paste of the cornstarch and the remaining water.
- Reduce that heat and simmer for 5 more minutes.