David's Recipe for Tahitian Fish Salad
Based on a Tahitian recipe strangely reminiscent of Jewish pickled herring. Have you ever wondered what happened to the ten lost tribes?
Appetizer or Main Course, Tahitian, Polynesian
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 pound thick filets of white fish such as Nile perch, cut against the grain into slices about 2"x1"x1/4"
- Juice of 4 large lemons
- 1 large cucumber, peeled or unpeeled, julienned into matchsticks
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, or milk made from the flesh of coconuts
- Mix the fish, onions, and lemon juice. Allow to marinate until the fish is more or less opaque, any time from 5 minutes to a few hours, depending on the temperature, your taste, and your convenience.
- Mix in the coconut milk and cucumber strips. Serve.