David's Recipe for Thai Chicken Soup
I prefer lemon zest to lemongrass.
- 20 medium-sized portobello mushrooms (2 packages where I live), sliced thick
- 2 large chicken breasts (1 package where I live), trimmed and sliced into slices 1/4 in thick
- 4 quarts boiling chicken stock
- juice of 1 small lemon
- zest of 1 small lemon, julienned
- 1 coffee spoon fresh ginger, minced
- chili pepper to taste
- 4 scallions sliced on a diagonal (garnish, optional)
- coriander leaves (garnish, optional)
- Mix the zest, lemon juice, chilis, and ginger into the chicken stock. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken breast slices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the mushroom slices. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with soy sauce. You can garnish with scallion slices or fresh coriander if you like.