David's Recipe for Three Treasure Fish
The original was non-kosher with a vengeance.
Main Course, Chinese-American
- 6 lbs skinless filets of salmon, cut into pieces about 2" x 1" x 1"
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 large handful cornstarch
- 1 large chili pepper, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large handful snow peas
- 1-1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced or broken as appropriate
- 1 quart boiling water
- Mix the soy sauce, brandy, eggs, cornstarch, pepper and ginger very gently into the salmon pieces. Allow to marinate at least 1/2 hour, mixing occasionally.
- Reserving the marinade, drain and then saute the salmon pieces over a high flame until not quite completely cooked, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute the pea pods for 1 minute. Don't allow them to lose their color. Set aside.
- Saute the mushroom slices until very lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add the salmon and the pea pods back into the mushrooms. Mix very gently.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring very gently once in a while. The sauce will thicken.
- Serve with rice.