David's Recipe for West Lake Sauce
For Tamar, by request. Shockingly easy.
Universal Sauce, Brooklynite
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 20 slices of fresh ginger (Don't bother peeling them first.)
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1 1/3 cups white vinegar
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup strong, good soy sauce, such as Kikkoman or San-J
- Boil the water, ginger, and sugar together for a few minutes.
- Lower to a simmer and add the vinegar.
- Make a slurry of the wine and cornstarch. Bring the sauce back to a boil and thoroughly mix in the cornstarch slurry. Simmer for a few more minutes.
- Thoroughly mix in the soy sauce.
- Serve over fish, meat, vegetables, almost anything.